John Hammond Jr Conducted Telepathic Experiments at Hammond Castle

John Hammond Jr. was a wealthy American inventor and owner of Hammond Castle in Gloucester. The castle housed not only his elaborate collection of ancient artifacts but also served as a laboratory where he and his team, which included scientist Andrija Puharich, conducted various telepathic experiments in the early 1950s.

From 1951 to 1952, Hammond, who had a fascination with the occult but was mostly known for his work with radio waves, conducted a series of experiments on a well-known psychic at the time, Eileen Garrett. During the experiments, Hammond placed Garrett in a Faraday cage, a cage designed to keep out electromagnetic waves, to determine whether ESP used electromagnetic frequencies as a carrier wave.

John_hays_hammond_jr_22_may_1922

John Hays Hammond Jr in 1922

According to the book “Color Healing: Chromotherapy” these experiments were funded by the Parapsychology Foundation:

“Science was represented by a team of top-drawer electronics physicists, headed up by John Hays Hammond. Parapsychology’s representative was Eileen J. Garrett, president of the foundation. The scientists undertook to devise assemblies of electro-magnetic instruments under conditions that would rule out any possibility of ether-waved telepathic or emotionally-conveyed contact between Mrs. Garrett, as the clairvoyant, and the science team. She was placed in a series of three Faraday cages, one inside the other…A scientist was stationed inside the cages with her. A tape recorder was placed in the inner cage, another was set up outside. A quarter mile away, a random switch to turn on and off an electrical current was placed in a hidden location.”

Hammond_Castle_Great_Hall_2007_Photographed_by_Rebecca_Brooks

The Great Hall at Hammond Castle

It is rumored that Hammond conducted these experiments in the castle’s Great Hall and that the cage became so hot due to the electrical currents running through it, the prolonged exposure to heat caused the dark stone floor beneath the cage to fade. This faded spot can still be seen today.

According to the book “Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla,” Hammond, who was a colleague and friend of Nikola Tesla, determined that since Garrett could still communicate telepathically with the science team through a series of ESP tests while she was in the cage, it proved that ESP was not transmitted on electromagnetic frequencies.

The Parapsychology Foundation still exists today and continues to fund scientific investigations of psychic phenomena.

Sources:

The Parapsychology Foundation: http://www.parapsychology.org/

“Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla”; Marc J. Seifer; 1998

“Color Healing: Chromotherapy”; Health Research Staff; 1996

“Transcending the Speed of Light: Consciousness, Quantum Physics, and the Fifth Dimension” Marc Seifer, Stanley Krippner; 2008

History of Hammond Castle

Hammond Castle is a Medieval-style castle located in the fishing village of Gloucester. The castle was built between 1926 and 1929 by an eccentric American inventor named John Hays Hammond Jr.

Hammond, who was a protege of Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas Edison, is known as the “Father of Radio Control” because of his groundbreaking work with radio waves. Hammond was the son of the wealthy mining engineer, John Hays Hammond Sr.

Hammond_castle_front

Hammond Castle

Hammond built the castle, which resides on the edge of a cliff overlooking Gloucester harbor, to house his large collection of Roman, Medieval and Renaissance artifacts as well as his laboratory where he conducted many experiments. One of his prized possessions still on display in the castle is a human skull rumored to be from one of Christopher Columbus’ crew members.

Although the exterior of the castle is built from granite mined from the nearby hillsides, the windows, doorways and much of the interior of the structure are actual pieces of European castles, churches and buildings Hammond bought and shipped to the United States. The castle includes a drawbridge, several towers, a great hall, a library, laboratory and an inner and outer courtyard. Hammond also added some unique features to the structure such as an indoor pool that can be drained with a flip of a switch and filled with sea water, rooms with hidden doors, secret passageways, a library with a whispering ceiling and an inner courtyard that was once outfitted with special overhead pipes and wiring to simulate rain or twinkling stars. Another feature of the castle is Hammond’s large pipe organ that his friend, famed organist Virgil Fox, used to play during visits. Fox held many recording sessions at the castle in the 40s and 50s.

John_Hays_Hammond_jr_sr_1922

John Hays Hammond Jr and Sr in 1922

From the grounds of the castle, Hammond used to maneuver radio-controlled boats through Gloucester harbor, terrorizing the local fishermen who thought the unmanned boats were ghost ships. It is also rumored that Hammond, who had a fascination with the occult, held many seances at the castle and filled his library with books about the occult.

According to an article in the Gloucester Times, Hammond was an animal lover with a number of pet Siamese cats. Whenever one of his beloved cats passed away, he would place the cat in a jar of formaldehyde and drive from his castle all throughout Gloucester in a one-car funeral procession, tying up traffic along the way.

Hammond died in 1965 and left the castle to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston. The enormous maintenance costs of the building proved to be too much for the church, who decided to sell it in 1975 to Virgil Fox for the price of $68,000. Fox held annual concerts at the castle to pay for the maintenance of the building but eventually sold it when the concerts failed to generate enough money.

Several live-in caretakers of the property have claimed that the building is haunted, possibly by Hammond and his wife Irene, who died in 1959. Hammond was buried on the property, with three of his Siamese cats, still preserved in jars, in a mausoleum on a nearby section of land but his body was removed in 2008 and reburied in the outdoor courtyard of the castle after several vandals broke into the mausoleum in the 1980s and stole the cats. The section of land where the mausoleum was located was later sold to raise money for the castle’s maintenance costs.

The castle is now a museum that is open to the public from spring until autumn. The museum also hosts annual Halloween events as well as private weddings and functions.

Hammond_Castle_Back_2007

The back of Hammond Castle

Hammond_Castle_Back

Back of Hammond Castle

The Great Hall at Hammond Castle

The inner courtyard and swimming pool

Hammond_Castle_Skull_2007

The skull believed to belong to one of Columbus’ crew members

Hammond_Castle_Dining_Room_2007

The dining room at Hammond Castle

Sources:

Schenectady Gazette; Medieval Hammond Castle Offers Change of Pace, Many Surprises; Jim Cassin; Sept 23 1988: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1917&dat=19880923&id=LWItAAAAIBAJ&sjid=gogFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3614,6260704

Gloucester Times; ‘Father of Radio Control’ Reintered; Gail McCarthy; November 24; 2008: http://www.gloucestertimes.com/local/x645314848/Father-of-radio-control-reintered

NPR: When a Man’s Home is Really His Castle: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111365770

Organ Arts: The Hammond Castle Recordings: http://www.organarts.com/legacy02/history.html

New York Times; Castle is Inventor’s Vision of the Past; Annie Driscoll; October 1988: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/10/09/us/castle-is-inventor-s-vision-of-the-past.html

North Shore Life Magazine; A Mona’s Home is His Castle; Volume 1, No. 1; Bonnie Hurd Smith: http://northshore.lifemagsonline.com/articles/2010/mans-home-his-castle/

Gloucester Times; Essex County Chronicles: Region Boasts Some of the Strangest, As Well As Oldest,; Jim McAllister; August 20 2007: http://www.gloucestertimes.com/opinion/x645283792/Essex-County-Chronicles-Region-boasts-some-of-the-strangest-as-well-as-oldest-residences/print

Hammond Castle: http://www.hammondcastle.org/common/index.php?com=HAMM&div=AA&nav=AA&page=A91

“Weird Massachusetts: Your Travel Guide to Massachusetts’s Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets”; Jeff Belanger, Mark Moran, Mark Sceurman; 2008