History of Fall River, Massachusetts

      No Comments on History of Fall River, Massachusetts

Fall River is a historic town in Massachusetts. Settled in the 17th century, it eventually became a booming mill town in the 19th century and is most famous for being the scene of the unsolved Borden murders in 1892.

The following is a timeline of the history of Fall River:

Pre-Colonial Era:

  • Prior to being settled by the English, the area is inhabited by the Pocasset who are members of the Wampanoag tribe.

1659:

  • 26 colonists from Plymouth colony purchase 26 lots of land, called the Freeman’s purchase, from two Wampanoag Indians, Wamsitti and his squaw Tattapanum. The land extends from the Quequechan River on the south to the present northern border of Freeport, Mass.
  • One of the 26 colonists, Humprey Turner, purchases a lot that includes modern day Fall River. The lot of land later passes down to his son Joseph Turner.
  • On April 2, the town of Freetown is settled, which is a large settlement that includes what is now modern day Fall River.

1671:

  • Joseph Turner sells his lot of land to Israel Hubbard who later sells it to Benjamin Church.

1683:

  • Freetown is incorporated as a town in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

1690:

  • Benjamin Church builds a sawmill on his lot of land, near the falls on Quequechan River, and a settlement soon sprouts up around it.

1693:

  • Colonist Daniel Wilcox is fined 150 pounds sterling for either illegally selling rum to the local natives or illegally buying land from them, the exact offense is unclear, and Wilcox flees to Rhode Island to avoid paying the large fine.

1701:

  • Wilcox offers to settle the fine by deeding the colony three separate lots of lands, a 140 acre lot and a 25 acre lot that border the South Watuppa Pond in Tiverton, RI and a 40 acre lot located on the easterly shore of the North Watuppa Pond in what is now modern day Fall River. The colony accepts this offer and takes title to those lands that year. As a result, the members of the Pocasset tribe living on those lots of land are displaced.
Official seal of the City of Fall River
Official Seal of the City of Fall River

1704:

  • The Massachusetts Legislature passes an act reserving three lots of land for the use of the local Pocasset tribe to accommodate them after being displaced and to thank them for their service in King Philip’s War. The natives settle on the two lots of land near South Pond in what is now modern Fall River.

1707:

  • The Massachusetts Legislature passes an act exchanging the native’s two lots of land near South Pond for one large lot of land near North Watuppa Pond. The reason for this exchange is in dispute but some sources say the natives wanted to live together on one large lot of land while other sources say they did not get along with their white neighbors near South Pond.

1709:

  • The Pocasset tribe takes up residence on their lot of land at North Watuppa Pond, which later comes to be known as the Fall River Indian Reservation.

1740:

  • The Borden-Winslow House, a Georgian-style house, is built on North Main Street.

1747:

  • The Lafayette – Durfee House, a Georgian-style farmhouse, is built by Thomas Durfee III on North Main Street.

1750:

  • The Church-Tory House, a small 3-bay gambrel cottage, is built at 96 French Street.
  • The Ashley House, a Federal-style house, is built on Main Street.

1759:

  • The Valentine-French House, a Georgian-style house, is built for William Valentine on North Main Street. It was later owned by members of the Horace French family in the mid 19th century.

1757:

  • The Nathaniel Biffin House, a small Colonial-style one-story cottage, is built on North Main Street.

1765:

  • The Jerome B. Westgate House, an Italianate-style house, is built on Pine Street.

1764:

  • The population of the Fall River Indian Reservation is about 59 people.

1778:

  • General Marquis de Lafayette stays at the Lafayette – Durfee House on North Main Street while on an expedition to Newport.
  • The William Reed House, a two-story house, is built on North Main Street.
  • On May 25, the Battle of Freetown takes place in Fall River during the Revolutionary War.

1785:

  • The Jael Hathaway and Elizabeth House is built on North Main Street.

1790:

  • The Cornell-Wood House, a two-story house, is built on North Main Street.

1795:

  • The Luther Winslow Jr House, a Federal-style house, is built by Luther Winslow Jr on North Main Street. Winslow later went to sea and died of yellow fever in the West Indies and was buried at Dead Man’s Chest Island in the British Virgin Islands.

1780 – 1799:

  • A series of houses are built in the Steep Brook neighborhood.

1800:

  • Fall River Friend’s Burial Ground is established on Hood Street.
  • The Barnabus Blossom House, a Federal-style house, is constructed on the corner of Main and Franklin Street.
  • The Barnabas Blossom Workshop and English Threshing Barn are built on Blossom Road.
  • The G.W. Locke House, a Colonial/Federal-style house, is built on Highland Ave.
  • The William Collins House, a Federal-style house, is built on North Main Street.

1803:

  • Fall River separates from Freetown and is incorporated as a town in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

1804:

  • On June 1, Fall River is renamed Troy.

1806:

  • Squire William B. Canedy House, a Federal-style house, is built on North Main Street.

1810:

  • North Burial Ground is established on North Main Street.
  • The Lewin House, a Federal-Greek Revival-style cottage, is built on Wilson Road.
  • The population of Fall River is 1,296.

1813:

  • The Troy Cotton and Woolen Manufactury is constructed near the falls on the Quequechan River and officially opens for business in March of 1814.

1815:

  • The John Brayton House, a Federal-style house, is built on Rock Street.
  • The Thomas Freelove House, a Federal-style house, is built on New Boston Road.

1820:

  • The Philip Eltz House, a Federal/Greek Revival-style house, is built on Oak Street, possibly for people employed by the nearby Troy Mill.
  • The Chase and Isaac Babcock House’ s Federal-style cottage, is built by Chase and Isaac Babcock on Oak Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 1,594.

1823:

  • The Chace – Clarke House is built on North Main Street.

1830:

  • The population of Fall River is 4,158.

1834:

  • On February 12, Troy is renamed Fall River.

1837:

  • The Lafayette – Durfee House is moved to the west side of North Main Street when the street is widened.

1840:

  • The Rodman Farm is sold off in large lots to major industry magnates.
  • The Oliver Chase Thread Mill is constructed on Bay Street.
  • Unitarian Society in Fall River building is constructed on North Main Street.
  • The Barnabas Blossom English Threshing Barn is constructed on Blossom Road.
  • The population of Fall River is 6,738.

1842:

  • North Christian Congregational Church is constructed on North Main Street.

1843:

  • On July 2, the Great Fire of 1843 takes place.
View of the great fire in Fall River. July 2, 1843
View of the great fire in Fall River. July 2, 1843
  • The Carr-Osburn House, a Greek Revival-style house, is built on Rock Street.
  • The Cataract Engine Company No. 3, aka G. A. R. Building, is built on Rock Street.
  • The Third Street School is constructed on Third Street.
  • The James D. Hathway House, a Greek Revival-style house, is built on Pine Street.

1844:

  • The William Lindsey House, a Greek Revival-style house, is built on North Main Street.

1845:

  • The Andrew J. Borden House, a Greek Revival-style house, is constructed on Second Street.
  • The Benjamin Wardwell House, a Greek Revival-style house, is built on High Street.
  • The John Young House, a Greek Revival-style house, is built on Franklin Street.
  • The Nathan Read House, a Greek Revival-style house, is built on North Main Street.
  • The Mount Hope Block is constructed on North Main Street.
  • The James D. Hathaway Carpentry Shop is built on Pine Street.
  • The Metacomet Mill is constructed by the American Printing Company on Anawan Street.
  • The Metacomet Bank is built on Anawan Street.

1849:

  • The population of the Fall River Indian Reservation dwindles to 37 people. About 18 to 20 of these tribe members do not currently live on the reservation at this time.

1850:

  • St John’s Roman Catholic Cemetery is established on Brightman Street.
  • The First Baptist Church is built on North Main Street.
  • The First Church of Christ Scientist is constructed on Rock Street.
  • The Winchester House is built on High Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 11,524.

1852:

  • Saint Mary’s Roman Catholic Cathedral and Rectory is built on Spring Street.

1854:

  • Fall River is reincorporated as a city in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
  • The Peckham House is built on Second Street.

1855:

  • Oak Grove Cemetery is established on Prospect Street.

1858:

  • The Hathway Brightman House, a Gothic-style house, is built on Crescent Street.

1860:

  • The population of Fall River is 14,026.

1861:

  • The Quequechan Club, a Colonial Revival-style building that house a gentlemen’s club, is built on North Main Street.
  • The population of the Fall River Indian Reservation is 80 people, only 19 of which live on the reservation.

1864:

  • The Saint John’s Hall is built on Third Street.

1865:

  • Mill No. 2 is built at the Union Mills on Pleasant Street.

1866:

  • Tecumseh Mill No. 1 is constructed on Hartwell Street.
  • The Robeson – Luther Mill is constructed on Hartwell Street.
  • Mill No. 1 at the Durfee Mills is constructed on Pleasant Street.

1868:

  • The Picker House and boiler house are constructed at Mechanics Mill on Davol Street.
  • The main mill is built at Mechanics Mill on Davol Street.
  • The N.B. Borden School is built on Morgan Street.
  • O’Rourke Funeral Home is built on Second Street.
  • Ruggles Park is built on Seabury Street.
  • South Park, designed by Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux, is built on South Main Street.

1869:

  • The Fall River Savings Bank building is constructed on North Main Street.
  • The Daniel Buffington Tenement House is built on Winter Street.
  • The Phineas Shepard Tenement House is built on Franklin Street.
  • The Davol Mills is built on Plymouth Ave.

1870:

  • The North Variety Store is built on Brightman Street.
  • Harrington House is built on Fourth Street.
Fall River, Mass in 1870
Fall River, Mass in 1870
  • The Michael Brennan House and Store is built on Rodman Street.
  • The John Earle House, an Italianate-style house, is built on Durfee Street.
  • The Central Church Parsonage is built on Walnut Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 26,766.

1871:

  • Mill No. 2 is constructed at the Durfee Mills on Pleasant Street.
  • Storehouse No. 2, the Picker House, and the boiler house are constructed at Granite Mills on Bedford Street.
  • The Brownell Street First Baptist Church is built on Brownell Street.
  • Mill No. 2 is constructed at Granite Mills on Bedford Street.

1872:

  • Mill No. 1 and the boiler house are constructed at Flint Mills on Alden Street.
  • Mill No. 1, the Picker House No. 1 and the Cloth Room are built at King Philip Mills on Kilburn Street.
  • The Weave Building, the Main Mill and the Picker House are constructed at Narragansett Mills on North Main Street.
  • Mill No. 1 is constructed at Sagamore Mills on Ace Street.
  • Mill No. 1, Picker House No. 1 and the boiler house are constructed at Stafford Mills on County Street.
  • Mill No. 1 is constructed at the Wampanoag Mill on Quequechan Street.
  • Mill No. 1 is constructed at at the Fall River Bleachery on Jefferson Street.
  • Mill No. 3 is built at the Crescent Mills on Front Street.
  • Mill No. 1, engine room and picker house are built at the Chace Mills on Lewiston Street.
  • The Pumping Station Intake House is constructed at the Fall River Waterworks on Bedford Street.
  • Franciscan Missionaries of Mary Convent is built on Second Street.
  • The cotton house, cloth room and picker house are built at the Crescent Mill on Front Street.
  • The weave shed is built at the Wampanoag Mill on Quequechan Street.

1873:

  • The Massassoit Firehouse No. 5 is constructed on Freedom Street.
  • The Anawan Firehouse No. 6 is constructed on North Main Street.
  • The Quequechan Fire Station No. 1 is constructed on Prospect Street.
  • The Pocasset Firehouse No. 7 is constructed on Pleasant Street.
  • The pumping station at the Fall River Waterworks is constructed on Bedford Street.
  • Mill No. 1 is built at the Richard Borden Manufacturing Company on Rodman Street.
Barnard Mills, Quequechan River, Fall River, Mass, circa 1910
Barnard Mills, Quequechan River, Fall River, Mass, circa 1910
  • The main mill, mill No. 2, picker house, engine house, and boiler house are built at Barnards Mill on Quarry Street.

1874:

  • The Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church is constructed on Linden Street.
  • The Lafayette – Durfee House is purchased by David M. Anthony and moved to Cherry Street. Anthony builds a brick mansard house in its place.
  • The Annie Brennan Boarding House is built on Third Street.
  • First Congregational Church Parsonage is built on June Street.

1875:

  • The Central Congregational Church is constructed on Rock Street.
  • Fowler Congregational Church is built on Maple Street.
  • Church of the Ascension is built on Rock Street.
  • The David M. Anthony house, a late Victorian/Second Empire-style house, is built on North Main Street.
  • The Borden Flat Light Station is constructed on the Taunton River.

1876:

  • The William C. Davol Jr house, a Stick-style house, is constructed for chief engineer of the fire department, William C. Davol, on High Street.
  • The Academy Building is constructed on South Main Street.
  • The Pine Street School is built on Pine Street.
  • The William M. Manley House, an Italianate-style house, is built on Cherry Street.

1877:

  • The Florence Sullivan House is constructed on Fourth Street.
  • Fall River Gas Works Coal House is built on Anawan Street.
  • The A.B. Chace Rowhouses are built on Middle Street.

1878:

  • The Azariah S. Tripp House, a Second Empire-style house, is constructed on Rock Street.
  • The Tool House is built at King Philip Mills on Kilburn Street.

1879:

  • The machine shop is constructed at the Narragansett Mills on North Main Street.
  • Mill No. 2 is constructed at the Wampanoag Mill on Quequechan Street.
  • Factory No. 6 is constructed at the Wyoming Mill on Chace Street.
  • The main house at the Chase – Hyde Farm is built on New Boston Road.

1880:

  • Green Dragon Inn, a Second Empire-style house, is built on North Main Street.
  • The Saint Joseph’s Catholic Church is constructed on North Main Street.
  • The Dean-Chase House, a Second Empire-style house, is built on Rock Street.
  • Mill No. 3 and the boiler house No. 1 are constructed at the Durfee Mills on Pleasant Street.
  • Mill No. 1 is constructed at the Border City Mills on Weaver Street.
  • The storehouse at the American Printing Company is constructed on Anawan Street.
  • Picker house No. 1 and No. 2 are built at the Durfee Mills on Pleasant Street.
  • The Philanthropic Burial Society Building is constructed on North Main Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 48,961.

1881:

  • East Mill No. 1 and the boiler house are constructed at the Globe Yarn Mills on Globe street.
  • The Picker House No. 2, the boiler house and the storehouse No. 1 are constructed at King Phillip Mills on Kilburn Street.
  • Mill No. 2 is constructed at the Sagamore Mill on North Main Street.
  • Mill No. 2 is built at the King Philip Mills on Kilburn Street.

1882:

  • The Barnaby Manufacturing Company building is constructed on Quequechan Street.
  • The main mill is constructed at the Laurel Lake Mills on Broadway.
  • The picker house and boiler house are constructed at Laurel Lake Mills on Broadway.
  • The Ariadne J. and Mary A. Borden House, a Second Empire-style house, is built on Globe Street.

1883:

  • The Edison Lighting Station is constructed on Hartwell Street.
  • Sometime between 1883 ad 1886 the Barnabus Blossom House is moved to Grove Street to make way for the construction of the Hotel Mellen.
  • The William Connell School is built on Plymouth Ave.

1884:

  • The Fall River Masonic Hall is constructed on Franklin Street.
  • The main mill, boiler house, dynamo, cloth room and picker house are constructed at the Seaconnet Mill on East Warren Street.

1885:

  • The Saint Louis Church is constructed on Bradford Street.
  • The First Baptist Church is built on Broadway.
  • The Church of New Jerusalem is built on Cherry Street.
  • Saint Patrick’s Church is built on South Main Street.

1886:

  • The B.M.C. Durfee High School is constructed on Rock Street.
  • The West Mill No. 2 at Globe Yarn Mills is constructed on Globe Street,
  • Storehouse No. 2 is constructed at King Philip Mills on Kilburn Street.
  • The engine house is built at Globe Yarn Mills on Globe Street.

1887:

  • The Jesus Marie Convent is built on Saint Joseph’s Street.
  • The cotton house at the Durfee Mills is constructed on Pleasant Street.
  • Mill No. 17 is constructed at the Sanford Spinning Company on Globe Mills Ave.

1888:

  • Mill No. 3 is constructed at the Border City Mills on Weaver Street.
  • Mill No. 1 and the Picker House is constructed at Hargraves Mill on Quarry Street.
  • Mill No. 3 is constructed at King Phillip Mill on Kilburn Street.
  • Picker House No. 2 and Mill No. 2 are constructed at Stafford Mills on County Street.
  • The cloth room and repair shop, storehouse #4 are constructed at the Wampanoag Mill on Quequechan Street.
  • Saint John’s Episcopal Church is built on Middle Street.
  • The engine house, boiler house and mills No. 1 and No. 2 are built at the Hargraves Mills on Quarry Street and Jefferson Street.

1889:

  • Maplecroft, a Queen Anne/Victorian-style house, is built on French Street.
  • The boiler house and engine rooms are constructed at the Narragansett Mills on North Main Street.
  • Chapel of the Congregation Adas Israel is built on Pearl Street.
  • The cloth room is constructed at the Chace Mills on Lewiston Street.
  • The Bristol County Superior Courthouse is built on North Main Street.
  • The A.J. Borden building, a late Victorian-style commercial building, is constructed on South Main Street by Andrew Jackson Borden. After Borden’s murder in 1892, ownership of the building transferred to his daughter Lizzie Bordern.

1890:

  • The Fall River National Bank building is constructed at North Main Street.
  • The North Burial Ground Gate Lodge is built on North Main Street.
  • The Sanford Yarns Mill Store is built on North Seventh Street.
  • The weave shed and engine house are constructed at Stafford Mills on County Street.
  • The main mill, engine house, garage, waste house and storehouse at Cornell Mills on Alden Street is constructed.
  • Young Men’s Protestant Temperance Society Hall is constructed on South Main Street.
  • Boiler house No. 2 and engine house No. 2 are built at the Union Mills on Pleasant Street.
  • Mill No. 1 and mill No. 2 are built at the Kerr Thread Mill on Martine Street.
  • Saint Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church Rectory is built on North Main Street.
  • The Children’s Home is built on Robeson Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 74,398.

1891:

  • Saint Anne’s Roman Catholic Church is built on South Main Street.
  • The main mill at the Algonquin Printing Company is built on Bay Street.
  • Building No. 1 is constructed at the Ashworth Brothers Mill on Globe Mills Ave.

1892:

  • Saint Joseph’s Orphanage is built on Saint Joseph Street.
  • Mill No. 4, engine house No. 4 and engine house No. 2 are constructed at King Philip Mills on Kilburn Street,
  • Mill No. 18, dye house, engine house, boiler house are constructed at the Sanford Spinning Company on Globe Mills Ave.
  • The Stevens Manufacturing Company is built on Stevens Street.
  • Borden and Remington Chemical and Dye Company is built on Anawan Street.
  • The Davol School is built on Flint Street.
  • On August 4, Andrew J. Borden and his wife Abby are murdered at their home, the Andrew J. Borden House, on Second Street.
  • On August 11, Lizzie Borden is arrested for the murders of her father and stepmother

1893:

  • The Coughlin School is built on Pleasant Street.
  • On June 20, 1893, Lizzie Borden is acquitted.
  • The Osbourn Street School is built on Osbourn Street.

1895:

  • The Catholic Youth Organization Building is is built Anawan Street.
  • The Bank Street Armory is built on Bank Street.

1896:

  • The weave shed is constructed at the Barnard Mills on Quarry Street.
  • Saint Michael’s Roman Catholic Church is constructed on Essex Street.
  • The cloth room at the Narragansett Mills is built on North Main Street.
  • The Fall River Public Library is built on North Main Street.

1897:

  • The Brayton Methodist Episcopal Church is constructed on Griffin Street.
  • The Women’s Club of Fall River is built on Walnut Street.
  • The Arkwright Mill is built on Quequechan Street.
  • The S. Gourse and Sons Clothing Store Building is constructed on Pleasant Street.
  • The Cascade Engine Company No. 1 is built on South Main Street.
  • The Almond Street Bridge is built on Almond Street.
  • The Israel Picard House, Queen Anne-style house, is built on County Street.

1898:

  • Storage house No. 3 is constructed at King Phillip Mills on Kilburn Street.
  • Factory No. 3 is built at the Wyoming Mills on Chace Street.
  • The Fall River Iron Works is constructed on Anawan Street.
  • The Adams House is built at the Fall River Home for Aged People on Highland Ave.
  • Ruggles Public School is built on Pine Street.

1899:

  • Fall River Gas Company is constructed on Fifth Street.
  • The Westport Factory is constructed on Hartwell Street.
  • Neil’s Hotel list built on Third Street.
  • Notre Dame School is built on Saint Joseph’s Street.
  • The Fennell House is built on Hanover Street.

1900:

  • The American Printing Machine Shop is built on Water Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 104.863.

1901:

  • The Shove Stables are built on Belmont Street.

1902:

  • The Frank N. Silvia School is built on Hartwell Street.
  • The Saint Michael’s Roman Catholic Church Rectory is built on Essex Street.

1903:

  • The Narrows Gate House is constructed at the Fall River Waterworks on Bedford Street.

1904:

  • North Park, designed by the Olmstead Brothers, is established on Highland Ave.
  • The engine room is built at the Durfee Mills on Pleasant Street.
  • Broadway Bridge is built on Broadway.
  • The Central Street Bridge is built on Central Street.

1905:

  • The Saint Anne’s Rectory is built on Middle Street.
  • The Saint Louis Roman Catholic School is built on Division Street.
  • The engine room is built at the Fall River Gas Works on Anawan Street.
  • The Water Street Bridge is built on Water Street.
  • The Clark Street Bridge is built on Clark Street.

1906:

  • The Leontime Lincoln Grammar School is built on Pine Street.
  • The Saint Mary’s Roman Catholic Church School is built on Spring Street.
  • The Globe Building is constructed on North Main Street.
  • Mill No. 7 is constructed at the American Printing Company on Anawan Street.

1907:

  • The Westall School is built on Maple Street.
  • Mill No. 3 is constructed at the Sagamore Mill on Ace Street.
  • Mill No. 3 is constructed at the Kerr Thread Mill on Martine Street.
  • On July 22, 1907, the Massachusetts Legislature passes a special act authorizing the city of Fall River to acquire a 100-acre parcel of land from the Fall River Indian Reservation to use as a city water supply.

1908:

  • The Flat Iron Building is constructed on Second Street.
  • The Fall River Lodge B. P. O. E. Building is constructed on Bank Street.
  • The Fall River Women’s Union Building is constructed on Rock Street.

1909:

  • The Mount Saint Mary’s Convent is built on Middle Street.
  • Mill No. 2, engine house and a business office is built at Flint Mills on Alden Street.
  • The Slade Allen and Company Wholesale Grocery Headquarters Building is constructed on Third Street.

1910:

  • The New Method Laundry is built on Hartwell Street.
  • Building No. 3 is constructed at the Ashworth Brothers Mill on Globe Mills Ave.
  • Factory No. 2 is built at the Wyoming Mills on Chace Street.
  • The Church of the Ascension Parish House is built on Purchase Street.
  • Saint Michael’s Roman Catholic Church Hall is built on Brightman Street.
  • Building No. 2 is constructed at the Ashworth Brothers Mill on Globe Mills Ave.
  • The Weaver Street Bridge is built on Weaver Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 119,295.

1911:

  • The John J. McDonough School is built on Fountain Street.
  • The spinning mill, engine house, boiler house, breaker and storage house are constructed at Charlton Mil on Howe Street.
  • The spinning mill, weaving mill, boiler house, storehouse and picker house are built at Pilgrim Mills on Pleasant Street.
  • The Fall River Gas Company is built on North Main Street.
  • The Fall River Reservoir Commission builds a new home for the Native-American family, the Perry family, displaced by the 1907 land acquisition at the Fall River Indian Reservation and the family relocates in the fall.
  • In July, the Fall River Reservoir Commission builds a fence around one of two Indian burial grounds on the land the city acquired from the Fall River Indian Reservation. It is not clear if they were aware of the other, and much older, burial ground located on the corner of Blossom and Indiantown Road. At the time, the newer burial ground had 54 burial stones and the older burial ground had 25 to 30 burial stones.
  • By the end of the year, the old Perry homestead and the other remaining structures on the section of land the city acquired from the Fall River Indian Reservation have been demolished.

1912:

  • Truesdale Hospital is built on Highland Ave.
  • First Congregational Church is built on Rock Street.

1913:

  • The M. Sweeney Moving Company Warehouse is built on Third Street.
  • The Truesdale Clinic is built on Rock Street.
  • The Mitchel House is built at the Truesdale Hospital is built on Highland Ave.

1914:

  • The Fall River Five Cents Savings Bank Building is constructed on North Main Street in 1914.
  • The Electric Auxiliary Station and Auxiliary Intake House are built at the Fall River Waterworks on Bedford Street.

1915:

  • Herrick’s Institute of Business and Civil Services is built on Franklin Street.
  • Saint Matthew’s Roman Catholic Church Parochial School is built on Wellington Street.
  • The Rising Sun, an exotic revival-style house, is built on Highland Ave.

1916:

  • Building No. 4 is constructed at the Ashworth Brothers Mill on Globe Mills Ave.
  • The bleachery is built at the Kerr Thread Mill on Martine Street.
  • The Boguslavsky Triple Decker tenement buildings are constructed on Albion Street.
  • The main mill, boiler house and storehouse are built at the Foster Spinning Company on Cove Street.

1917:

  • The Herrick House is constructed on Pine Street.

1918:

  • The Westport Manufacturing Company Cotton Waste Department Building is constructed on Oregon Street.

1920:

  • The Fall River YMCA is constructed on North Main Street.
  • Saint Matthew’s Roman Catholic Church Convent is built on Wellington Street.
  • Saint Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church Parochial School is built on North Main Street.
  • The Fall River Masonic Temple is built on North Main Street.
  • M.J. Doran Company Building is constructed on South Main Street.
  • Nazareth Hall is built on Highland Avenue.
  • Mill No. 16 is built at the Sanford Spinning Company on Globe Mills Ave.
  • The finishing mill and storehouse are built at the Kerr Thread Mill on Martine Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 120,485.

1921:

  • The Spencer Borden School is built on President Ave.

1922:

  • The administration building is constructed at the Fall River Waterworks on Bedford Street.

1923:

  • Saints Peter and Paul Church and School are built on Dover Street.
  • The Saint Anne’s Roman Catholic Church School is built on Forest Street.
  • The James Madison Morton Jr High School is built on President Ave.
  • The Eastern Edison Company Garage is built on Fifth Street.
  • The B and S Fisheries Warehouse is built on Fourth Street.
  • Saints Peter and Paul Church and School is built on Dover Street.

1924:

  • The Laurel Lake School is built on Orswell Street.
  • The United Presbyterian Church is built on Rock Street.
  • The Moore Building is constructed on South Main Street.
  • The Alfred Letourneau School is built on Anthony Street.
  • The Santo Christo Church is built on Columbia Street.

1925:

  • Besse Russell Company Store is built on South Main Street.
  • Goldstein and Horvitz Building is constructed on South Main Street.

1926:

  • Baptist Temple is built on South Main Street.
  • The John J. Doran School is built on Fountain Street.
  • The Capitol Theater Building is built on South Main Street.
  • The Edison Service Building is constructed on Hartwell Street.
  • The Union Methodist Church is built on Highland Ave.

1928:

  • The Citizens Savings Bank Building is constructed on South Main Street.
  • The Union Savings Bank Building is constructed on South Main Street.
  • The Slade School is built on Lewis Street.
  • The First Federal Building is constructed on North Main Street.
  • Temple Beth-El Synagogue is built on High Street.

1929:

  • The Fall River Technical School is built on Rock Street.
  • The Fall River Cooperative Bank is constructed on Bedford Street.

1930:

  • The electrical switching building is constructed at King Phillip Mill on Kilburn Street.
  • The Fall River Trust Company building is constructed on North Main Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 115,274.

1931:

  • U. S. Custom House and Post Office is built at Government Center.
  • The Sacred Heart School is built Linden Street.
  • The Blessed Sacrament Church is built on South Main Street.

1935:

  • The Ledge Road Bridge is built on Ledge Road.

1938:

  • The Hiker, a Spanish-American War Memorial is erected on Pleasant Ave.

1939:

  • The Center Theater Building is constructed on South Main Street.

1940:

  • The R and S Rental Company building is constructed on Morgan Street.
  • The New England Telephone and Telegraph Building is constructed on North Main Street.
  • The Holy Name Roman Catholic Church is built on Hanover Street.
  • The Prince Henry the Navigator statue is erected on Eastern Ave.
  • The population of Fall River is 115,428.

1941:

  • Only 11 of the 25 to 30 burial stones remain at the old Indian burial ground on the land the city acquired from the Fall River Indian Reservation in 1907.

1944:

  • U. S. Navy Quonset Hut No. 1935 is built on Water Street.

1950:

  • The population of Fall River is 111,963.

1951:

  • Massachusetts Army National Guard Armory Garage is built on Dwelly Street.

1953:

  • Al Mac’s Diner is built on President Ave.

1954:

  • The Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church is built on North Main Street.

1956:

  • Fall River First Church of Christ Scientist is built on Rock Street.

1957:

  • The Saint Michael’s Roman Catholic Church Parochial School is built on Essex Street.

1958:

  • The Massachusetts Army National Guard Armory is built on Dwelly Street.

1959:

  • Vice’s Car Wash in built on John Street.

1960:

  • The population of Fall River is 99,942.

1961:

  • The Erik Building is constructed on North Main Street.

1963:

  • South Park on South Main Street is renamed Kennedy Park in honor of President John F. Kennedy.

1965:

  • The Durfee Street Carwash is built on Durfee Street.
  • On August 14, Battleship Cove, a maritime museum featuring the largest collection of WWII battleships, is established on the Taunton River.
  • The Charles M. Braga Memorial Bridge is built on I-95.

1966:

  • The Strafford Road Bridge is built on Strafford Road.
  • The Jefferson Street Bridge is built on Jefferson Street.

1967:

  • The Quequechan River Gatehouse is built on Hartwell Street.

1969:

  • The Social Security Administration Office is built on North Main Street.

1970:

  • The population of Fall River is 96,898.

1976:

  • The filtration plant is built at the Fall River Waterworks on Bedford Street.
  • Mill No. 5 is built at the Ashworth Brothers Mill on Globe Mills Ave.

1977:

  • Fall River World War II American Veterans Post No. 60 is built on Danforth Street.

1980:

  • The population of Fall River is 92,574.

1990:

  • The Unitarian Church in Fall River is built on North Main Street.
  • The population of Fall River is 92,703.

1995:

  • The Fall River Animal Rescue League building is constructed on Durfee Street.

1996:

  • None of the 11 burial stones remain at the old Indian burial ground on the land the city acquired from the Fall River Indian Reservation in 1907. Parts of the fence and about 10 or 12 stones remain at the newer Indian burial ground on that land.
  • The Borden House, where the 1892 unsolved double murder of Andrew and Abby Borden took place, is renovated and opens as a bed and breakfast.

2000:

  • The population of Fall River is 91,938.

2010:

  • The population of Fall River is 88,857.

2020:

  • The population of Fall River is 94,000.

Sources:
Pierce, Pala Alto. “Ye Freeman’s Purchase.” History of Freetown, Massachusetts. J.H. Franklin & Company, 1902, pp. 3-10
Conforti, William J. Fall River’s Watupa Reservation: A Brief Account of its Origin and Evolution. March, 1996, wpthistory.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/watuppa-reservation001.pdf
Fehrenbacher, Gretchen. “The House Where Lizzie Lived.” South Coast Today, 4 Aug. 1996, southcoasttoday.com/article/19960804/life/308049939
“Timeline.” Lafayette Durfee House, lafayettedurfeehouse.org/timeline.html
MACRIS, Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System, mhc-macris.net

About Rebecca Beatrice Brooks

Rebecca Beatrice Brooks is the author and publisher of the History of Massachusetts Blog. Rebecca is a freelance journalist and history lover who got her start in journalism working for small-town newspapers in Massachusetts and New Hampshire after she graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a B.A. in journalism. Visit this site's About page to find out more about Rebecca.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *